Tonight, I watched Tuesday 81-78 win over Iowa on ESPN as the Hoosiers clinched the Big Ten Title outright. I love the poise and fight this team has shown. They have to be commended for how far they have come this season.
IU came out of half time leading 47-41 and they opened up the floodgates before things got tense in Iowa. Here are by observations for the game starting with the second half.
- Collin Hartman picked up his fourth foul with 18:00 minutes left in the game. The officials were very ticky tacky in this game and they missed a big foul on Thomas Bryant.
- IU got things going as Troy Williams hit OG Anunoby with a nice pass for a bucket to put IU ahead 53-44.
- Nick Zeisloft had a pretty good game overall.
- The Hoosiers lead later exploded to 60-46 with a Yogi Ferrell three and Yogi hit Williams on a pass.
- IU was crashing the offensive boards hard early in the second half.
- Yogi is just amazing to watch. The way he dribbles and the way he can quickly hit a back step jumper.
- Iowa started to make things interesting after Thomas Bryant picked up his fourth foul. Iowa clawed back little by little and Nicholas Baer hit two huge threes to tie the game at 70-70.
- Much later Peter Jok put Iowa ahead 74-72 with a bucket and Hartman fouled out with 3:55 left. Mike Tirico then mentioned Iowa went about four minutes with out a field goal.
- The big shot for IU came when Yogi Ferrell hit a three with under a minute to play to put IU ahead 80-75.
- However, things weren’t settled yet. Anthony Clemmons was able to a three to cut IU’s lead to 81-78 with 7.1 seconds left and IU needed a Jok shot to bounce off the rim at the buzzer to take the victory.
- I joined the first half of the game with Iowa leading 10-9.
- Yogi hit a three to make it 17-12 IU and Zeisloft was hot early on. Anunoby was guarding Jarrod Uthoff hard at one point in the first half. Tirico mentioned that Uthoff had seven points early in the first half.
- IU got a little sloppy around the 8-10 minute mark of the first half as Anthony Clemmons had a three point play to cut IU’s lead to 26-25. Tirico also pointed out the play of Christian Williams for Iowa
- IU got going once again as Yogi and Max Bielfeldt hit threes to put IU head 40-34.
- Then later on Zeisloft hit a three and IU went into the half leading 47-41.
My mantra all year long was IU needed to play defense and they just have kept getting better and better. I only doubted Coach Tom Crean once this season as I have been pretty much behind him all along. Dan Dakich said Crean cut down on his practice time and simplified things for IU. That was a big adjustment and it’s just so much fun to watch IU get better and better this season.
I’m hoping for a big run in March because this team is easy to root for. GO HOOSIERS!